Raspberry Pistachio Friands
Financiers and friands are basically cousins in the dessert world. Almond flour and egg whites figure as a major part of the ingredients. We are partial to friands because we can flavor them as we like and use seasonal ingredients. This raspberry pistachio friand recipe was inspired by a friand we had at the Violet Bakery in London.
This recipe is so easy to make, even more so than traditional cupcakes. You basically put everything in a food processor and mix it, put the batter in molds then garnish it with nuts and fruits. A fun recipe to make with the little ones, their favorite part is pressing buttons and putting raspberries on the friands.
Raspberry Pistachio Friands
The base of the friands is egg whites, nut flour, butter and baking powder. You can play around with flavor profiles to create alternatives to this recipe. I love using a combination of rosewater and pistachio to bring a Middle Eastern twist to my Friands.
by Soumeya | April 2019
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Inactive time: 0 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature (1 stick, 115g)
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour or whole wheat flour (90g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ¾ cup ground pistachios or nut flour blend (130g)
- 1 ⅓ cup confectioners sugar (190g)
- 5 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 ounces fresh raspberries (1 small package, 170g)
- 1 3/4 cup slivered pistachios (50g)
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease 12 cupcake or friand molds.
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg whites lightly, about 1 minute with a hand whisk.
- Add all the other ingredients to the egg whites, except for the raspberries, and slivered pistachios.
- Mix everything until there are absolutely no lumps. You can also do this step and the one right before it in a food processor, process for about 1 minutes or until foamy.
- Take half the raspberries and fold them into the batter, working gently so you don’t break the raspberries.
- Spoon the batter into the molds, fill up to the middle.
- Top each friand with 1-2 raspberries and sprinkle with the slivered pistachios.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are springy to the touch.
- Let the friands cool slightly in their molds, about 10 minutes. Remove and dust with confectioners sugar.
- If you are using a food scale to measure your ingredients then you can easily use whole nuts instead of nut flours. All you have to do is measure an equal amount and process the nuts in the food processor until they are ground finely. Add the remaining ingredients and follow the rest of the recipe.
Denotes items that we prefer to be organic. Read more about it here: Items to buy organic when grocery shopping.